Saturday 24 December 2011

Have youself a merry little Christmas - The Pretenders

No doubt - my favourite "secular" Christmas song is "Have yourself a merry little Christmas". I love the tune - a little bit moody but tinge with hope.

The song was written for the movie Meet Me in St Loius and it was sung then by Judy Garland. Since then, many others have sung the song and gave it their own interpretation.

My fav version is the one i first heard when i was celebrating Christmas at Colchester - the 2nd time i was spending it away from home. So it was a time when i felt a little sad - but at the same time, it was wonderful to spend Christmas there with the few of my frens there. Modern technology made it possible that close ones back home were not very far away too. So the bittersweet feel that i get when i listen to this song really reflected things around me at that time.

Check out the original version of this song:-



I like Katie Melua's version too (can't embed so see it here).

Here are some other versions of the song:-


Diana Krall's live version - brilliant!


I came across this Tori Amos version today which is really good - almost as good as The Pretenders IMO!


This is from Junji Delfino during the recent ESG Jazz Fest - horrible pic quality but the sound is not too bad.

Finally, here is my fav version. Enjoy! And have yourself a merry little Christmas!



No comments: