Tuesday 19 January 2016

When I see you smile* - Bad English

Truth be told, in the past i used to think of other people when i listen to this song. But i stopped listening to it for a while - until the night run i went for last year. It was the final run of my Brooks shoes...



I uploaded songs into my phone to keep me company while i ran. It was a wonderful run! It was cooling and nice and the songs really kept me company, bringing up old memories as i listen to them.

But when it came to this song, i immediately thought of my little girl. And the words just became so true and so real. It was a difficult time of my life - just a month after discovering that i have a recurrence of my brain tumour. But no matter how bad things were, no matter how bad a day i have at work, no matter how sad or disappointed i am, or frustrated with anything or anyone, it all doesn't matter when i see her smile. And when i do, i feel that i really do anything.

It also happened that when the song came on, i was starting to run up a steep hill - and the thought of her and her smile just pushed me up the hill, passing everyone who were struggling up.

Even today, just the sight of her smile fills me with so much joy. It wasn't a good day at work - i had a minor fender-bender on the way to work and have to pay for the repairs for both my car and the other's, there was a student of mine who was caught cheating, a lot of work (but that's normal). I was feeling physically tired but when i got home - in fact, i just stepped out of my car when i heard a loud "DADDY!!!". And there she was, at the window, smiling at me. I can't think of another sight more beautiful. Everything else just didn't matter and i sat down with her and chat with her before dinner.

I thank God for her, and for using her to bring so much joy, meaning and purpose in my life.


*Their first and only no. 1 hit in the US, one of my all time favourite songs.

No comments: