Tuesday 12 March 2019

Doesn't really matter* - Janet Jackson

"It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of everyone; the living should take this to heart". Ecclesiastes 7:2

I find this verse so true. I attended the funeral of a friend's father recently. It wasn't fun. It was sobering. And it really brings a lot of things into perspective. Death as the verse say is the destiny of all. No matter who we are, how rich we are, how clever we are (and since I'm in Malaysia, let's bring race into the matter - what race we are), one thing that is certain is that we all will die (or be raptured up to be with Christ when he returns). Remembering and realising that, a lot of things do not matter much anymore - like winning that competition or buying that thing or getting the approval of people who do not really care or watching the final installment of Avengers or Star Wars or eating at that Michelin Star restaurant. Instead, one will realise the importance of family, of true friends, of spiritual matters. I don't think anyone at their deathbed will regret not spending enough time at the office but many will regret not spending more time with their family.

So what if I won't get to see the Northern Lights, or drive a Lamborghini or watch Liverpool play live at Anfield or act in a musical at West End or perform live on stage with Queen (for the Queen!)? What's more important is that I spend time with my wife, my two girls, my aged mom and make sure that they know how much I love them.

*This song was recorded for the soundtrack of Nutty Professor 2.

No comments: