Thursday 19 April 2012

Crash! Boom! Bang!* - Roxette

When I watched the trailer, I had a bad feeling about Battleship. Just an excuse to have another Transformers movie without the Transfomers?



But I noted that some people said it was actually quite watchable. And we were sold when they showed a clip of the movie as a promo on Fox TV (after an episode of The Walking Dead).

So we went to watch – expecting it to be a fun action packed alien versus ships movie. And tt’s what we got!

If people are complaining about the storyline, then I wonder what kind of people they are who go and watch this movie for the story!!! This movie does not pretend to be anything but a crash boom bang movie! And they deliver it. Quite well, I must say!
If you see an earlier post, this was not one of my anticipated movie this year. I do not rank it as among the best movies I have watched – but certainly, I am not ashamed to admit that I thoroughly enjoyed the movie!

We (me wife and i) had some fun laughing about the movie too – like I pointed out that the movie proved that women are multi-taskers!!!! Look at Rihanna’s character – first, she was the one manning the cameras which gave us the first glimpse of the floating alien vessel. Then in the next scene, she was part of the recce team sent out to check out the vessel. She was the person manning the gun on their little boat. Later, we see that she is the one manning the missiles launched from their destroyer. Out of all the crew members, she seemed to be the most overworked one! Lol!

And when they went to check out the alien vessel, me wife was commenting how come these 3 people will not die??? I simply replied that they can’t die because one of them is John Connor of Mars and the other is a famous pop star! The 3rd guy? Well, they needed someone to “drive” the boat!!!

I also wondered out loud if it was part of Rihanna’s contract that in every scene she appears in, she must be wearing some headgear? You never see her without one – even when she jumped into the sea, her cap was still on!!!



Anyways, the effects were satisfying – nothing ground breaking but it did the job (i like how the HSBC building came down) – and the sound was pretty good (watched it in a Digital 2D cinema). I liked the Japanese character and the homage to the Battleship boardgame was interesting! I also liked how in the end, they had to use a WWII Battleship together with all the veteran sailors to take down the aliens.



I got what I expected and perhaps a little bit more! So no complains about this movie! =)

*The second single from their album of the same name, released when i was studying in London.

No comments: