Monday 18 June 2012

I'll be there for you* - The Rembrants

Psalm 121

A song of ascents.

I lift up my eyes to the mountains –
    where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord,
    the Maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot slip –
    he who watches over you will not slumber;
indeed, he who watches over Israel
    will neither slumber nor sleep.
The Lord watches over you –
    the Lord is your shade at your right hand;
the sun will not harm you by day,
    nor the moon by night.
The Lord will keep you from all harm –
    he will watch over your life;
the Lord will watch over your coming and going
    both now and for evermore.
 
Such a short Psalm but so rich and so powerful!!!!

Psalmist says that his help comes from the Lord!!!! Yet, so often, I turn to other things for help. I do not recognise God’s ability to be able to help me and God’s love to want to help me! I miss out on the blessings of being able to involve him in everything I do. I failed to admit that I need in him everything – and as such, I end up depending on myself. This clearly is sin – not giving God the proper place in our lives as he deserves.

After all, the Psalmist also reminds me that my Lord is the maker of heaven and earth! He is the creator for this whole world! Imagine, having Messi to play on the same football team as you? Well, in everything we do, we can have the maker of heaven of earth on our side, in our team!!!!

But even Messi can have his “off” days. But my Lord is one who watches over me all the time – he does not slack, he does not sleep. Not only does he watch over me all the time, he will protect me from things within as well without. In our modern day of travelling, we may not appreciate how the Psalmist say that God protects the traveller from the elements – but those are real dangers!

This Psalm was meant for travellers – and the reminder to the travellers is that God will keep us safe in our coming ins and going outs. For us Christians, we are travellers too – as this world is not our own. We are just passing thru – pilgrims in our journey to our Promised Land. As we go thru life, we travel thru this world – and we are assured that God, the maker of heaven and earth, the one who never sleeps, is there with us all the while, watching over us so that we will not slip or stumble, and protecting us from external things around us.

We look forward to our destination – but for now, we enjoy the journey with our Lord! For he Lord who beither slumbers nor sleeps will be there for us every step of the way.

*The theme song for Friends.

No comments: