Tuesday 21 February 2017

Try a little kindness* - Glen Campbell

I was at Giant the other day to buy milk. Just one bottle. made my way to the payment counters.

Not my photo - got it from the Foursquare page of Giant USJ

To my dismay, the 'express counters' were not opened and only 3 payment counters were - and all 3 had long lines of people with trolleys full of stuffs. I queued at the shortest one but it would still take a while before it comes to me.

I waited and waited and waited... i tried to look out for some managerial staff so that i could complain and ask them to open at least one 'express counter' for people like me. But none were in sight.

And so i waited. And waited. Some lady in front was taking a long time removing all the items from her trolley (and there were a LOT!!!) and placing them on the counter. And then taking each item and placing them one by one back into her trolley - as she opted not to pay for plastic bags so she was placing each item back in and was probably gonna roll it to her car.

I felt like Judy Hopps in Zootopia waiting for Flash the sloth to give her the info she wanted - the only difference is that i was still waiting in line and it wasn't my turn yet!!!!

Another pic obtained from online without permission...

When it was almost the turn of the lady in front of me, she turned to me and asked if I would want to go first! It really took me by surprised - i stammered 'Well... erm... yeah... if you don't mind...I only have one item'. She smiled back at me. Her elderly parents must have been thinking that she was out of her mind!!!!

When it came to her turn, i stepped forward and paid for the milk. And then i was off, saying 'thank you' again for the millionth time.

Now why would she want to do that? What benefit will she get from doing that? Nothing! The benefit was all mine! The only benefit she can get is that satisfaction of knowing that she did something kind to a random stranger and really brightened up his day - and i hope she will meet more people like herself. In a world where people appear to be more self-centered and selfish, I am reminded that there are still those who are selfless - and i hope this motivates me more to be like that too.

Such a simple act of kindness - can you imagine what kind of a world we would live in if all of us did one simple act of kindness? It will cause others to do the same - and that would cause even more to do the same. And it will go on and on and on and on - for kindness will surely result in more kindness.

*One of our favourite songs in Sunday School back then!

No comments: