Saturday 18 May 2019

Keep the family close* - Drake

Last night, I brought my daughter to Mr. DIY and I bought something for her. We queued up behind this family - a father, mother and teenage son. After paying for our stuffs, we headed to the carpark as the mall was closing. As we walked out of the shop, I saw the father storming away alone. The mother and son soon followed him. From what I gathered, the son said something to his father which made him unhappy. His mother was nicely telling him that he should not have done that as his father would buy him what he wanted (Asians' way of showing love?).

I don't know why that incident affected me. Maybe it was seeing how angry the father was. Or how sad the boy looked. He's probably the only son and he was also probably born to them when they were quite old. Here is a family who went out on a Friday night to spend time together, shopping and being with each other. But it appears to be ending badly. The father may be thinking about how ungrateful his son is, and not appreciating all he has sacrificed for him. The son may be be thinking of why his dad has to be so sensitive, and not understanding him. It could be a long quiet and ackward drive back home and everyone will go to sleep feeling unhappy and regretting why they had to spend time together if it was ended like that.

I really hope the son would apologise to his father for making him angry. Or that the father would talk to his son telling him nicely why he was unhappy. I hope the son will know that despite all his flaws, his father probably love him with all his life.

But in all likelihood, they would keep their feelings and thoughts to themselves and not share them - resulting in a rift between father and son which can grow bigger and bigger.

I don't know why this incident affected me so much that I feel the need to share this here... Maybe I just want people to be happy. Happy with their family. The family is such an important thing in today's society. It's breakdown is usually the cause of many problems we see today.

*First track from his album, Views.

No comments: