Sunday 16 June 2019

Father and Daughter* - Paul Simon

This morning, my oldest girl woke me up to give me my Father's Day present. But what moved me to tears was later in the morning, she came to me again and pointed upwards. I looked at the ceiling wondering what was that all about. She then waved upwards and said Happy Father's Day, Yeh Yeh (Cantonese for paternal grandfather - basically referring to my father). She was reminding me to wish my father who is now in heaven a Happy Father's Day!!! And up to that point, I had been so busy that I have not spared a thought for my father who has left us for 12 years now.

I hugged my daughter tightly and asked her why she suddenly thought of my father - sadly, she never had the chance to get to know him. She said she always think of him as we go back to my mom's house weekly and she sees his photo there.

I told her that there are times I miss him very much and that she would have loved him if she had the chance to know him.

Happy Father's Day, Pa.

*A song that he wrote for his daughter when she was 7.

No comments: