Friday 29 August 2008

One more try* - George Michael

Why are you climbing it again???

Many have asked. To which i simply reply, because it's there!

So off i went a couple of weeks ago, trudging up the slopes of Mount Kinabalu. Being my 3rd time going up, the trek up seemed a little familiar. But one memory which kept on returning to me was during my 2nd trek up when i asked meself many times along the way why was i doing it again???

I have to admit that the 3rd time was still hard - despite me being fitter than i was was during the 2nd trek. The walk up to Laban Rata was extremely exhausting near to the end. The 3 am trek to the Summit was simply too cold - the winds were crazy. Many a times, i would lie in a fetal position on the bare steep slope, wishing there was a switch that i could reach out to and stop the winds!!!

The trek down was excrutiatingly painful. Me knees were hurting like crazy - so with every step brought a sharp pain. At times, me knees felt like it was going to give way!!!

I still have this text message stored up in the draft folder of me phone - a message which i tried to send from the peak:-


Good morning. I'm at the peak of the mountain. Please remind me NEVER to do this again.
In fact, i sent out similar ones at Laban Rata!!!

But it wasn't all horrible. The best part was walking down from the peak to Sayat-Sayat check-point. It was downhill and altho very steep, me addidas kampung ensured i never slipped at all. The sun was up and it warmed me. The view was simply wonderful and the guide suddenly became rather chatty!!! I din mind. I learned a lot of new things from her. She'd point out the peaks, the vegetation, the towns in the valley below etc.

I told meself NEVER to do it again. I told me mates to make sure i'll never do it again too.


1st time - 1991. Me at the peak with a couple of bank robbers!!! At this time, all of me students are still in diapers!!! A couple may still not be born yet!!!


2nd time - 2004


3rd time - 2008

Here's the truth - the real reason for me wanting to do it again and again was because i never made it to the peak before sunrise before. And at the peak, i did not look over and stare down Low's Gully!!! And it wasn't an enjoyable experience.

So i wanted to go again, to make it to the peak and see the sunrise, to peer down the scary drop of Low's Gully and to have fun doing it.

I failed again this 3rd time round. Reached the peak long after the sunrise. By then it was too misty up there - and as i crawled to look down Low's Gully, i see nothing but thick fog.

Further, there is the new trail where one can go on a more scenic trek up albeit longer. I wanted to do that this time but couldn't find anyone to share a guide with to do so.

So yes, even on the day after i reached down, i oredi started toying with the idea of going up again!!! I listened with envy as Ru and her mates talk about going up in October this year.

SOMEBODY PLEASE STOP ME!!!!!!

Or go with me again! ;-)

p/s - if you are interested, you can check out my pics here.

* His 3rd consecutive no. 1 single from his brilliant album, Faith.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wanna go next year! Must start going to the gym and fit up, I don't think I could last 20 minutes on that slope...

imissw said...

hey, u're supposed to stop me, not encourage me!!!

ok, set! let's go next yr. hehehehe.

and hello? it's a mountain, k. not a slope! :-P