Monday 22 June 2009

The best of me* - David Foster & Olivia Newton John

Today's sermon was titled "Encounters with Jesus - Jesus and the Magi". My favourite slide in the entire presentation is this one:-


Yup, the Magi brought gifts of gold, myrrh and Frankenstein!!!
(pic taken from online)


Can i take credit as the only preacher ever in my church to put up such a lame slide during a sermon? I think i oredi take the honour for being the only preacher who has red-dyed hair! Hehe.

I confessed that i sat in the first service's sermon to listen to Andrew preach on the same topic first. And i realised that i missed out a very important point. The Magi presented to Jesus not just mere gifts. Verse 11 of the 2nd chapter of the gospel of Matthew makes it clear that they presented to Jesus their 'treasures'!!!


Yeah, they din just drop by the local gift shop and bought some cheap souvenirs. They gave of their best to the master!

Which got me thinking meself - do i give of my treasures to Jesus? Or does he get the 'leftovers' - whatever leftover time i have, whatever leftover money i have? Does he get cheap and lame gifts from me? Does he not deserve nothing less than the very best? Even pagan priests knew what to honour Jesus with. I should learn from them.

*I first heard the cover of this song by jass singer, Phil Perry.

No comments: