Sunday 7 March 2010

Look away* - Chicago

From the sixth hour until the ninth hour darkness came over all the land. About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?" — which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

Matt 27v45-46 (NIV)


Christ of Saint John of the Cross by Dali.
I had the chance to view it when i was in Glasgow in 2006

This morning, one of my Church elders reminded me that there was one thing that Jesus truly dreaded when he gave his life for us - it was not the sound of the banging of the nails, it was not the soldiers spitting at him, it was not the humiliation of being crucified, it was not the thorns... but it was being separated from the Father.

It was - and will be - the only time in all eternity when this happened.


And the reason for that is because all the sin of everyone - past, present and future - was placed on him as he died on all our behalf.

Such sacrifice, such obedience, such love...

Oh make me understand it, help me to take it in
What it meant to thee the Holy one to bear away my sin
Katharine Kelly

*Their last song to hit no. 1 in the Billboard charts, way back in 1988.

No comments: