Wednesday 31 March 2010

Let me let go* - Faith Hill

I was in the blue horizon between heaven and earth. The days were unchanging and every night I dream the same dream. The smell of damp earth. The scream no one heard. The sound of my heart beating like a hammer against cloth and I would hear them calling, the voices of the dead. I wanted to follow them to find a way out but I would always come back to the same door. And I was afraid. I knew if I went in there I would never come out.
Suzie Salmon



I can't seem to stop watching good movies!!!!! The latest one is Peter Jackson's The Lovely Bones. Released in December last year, it only started playing here rather low-keyed recently. Catch it before its run ends!

I won't give out major spoilers here. It is basically about a 14 year old girl who sadly was murdered near the beginning of the show. The rest of the movie shows her howering at a place between heaven and earth, not being able to let go of her earthly past.

Let me say that i know many critics have not been kind to this movie. I wonder why. Or perhaps i am just terribly biased - after all, it stars the dramatic Mark Wahlberg and the lovely and talented Oscar Winner Rachel Weisz. It has Susan Sarandon as supporting cast. Most of all, it has the Peter Jackson as the director!!!!

But no, i'm not that easily biased. I was critical of the prequel trilogy of Star Wars despite being a huge fan of George Lucas (before the prequels), Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman and Samuel Jackson.

I loved The Lovely Bones for so many reasons. The acting cast were superb. In addition to the big names mentioned, all of whom did not disappoint, there is Saoirse Ronan, who took the role of Suzie Salmon so well.

The CGI was really beautiful - the main reason why i say the movie must be watched in a big screen cinema and not on a 14 inch laptop screen.



The storytelling was wonderful! The scene where Suzie goes into the small little cave under the cornfield felt so claustrophobic. The comic relief scenes of Susan Sarandon were hilarious. Some scenes were eerie and scary. The scene involving Lindsay, Suzie's sister and the killer was thoroughly nail-biting. The scene where the killer was trying to get rid of the 'lovely bones' was very well done (can't say much without giving up spoilers).

From the reading of online reviews, I think the reason why many din like it was because it is very different from book - and they were disappointed with the outcome.

Well, i din read the book - so perhaps that explains it. I loved it and i was almost moved to tears at the end.

p/s - just to emphasise how good it was, i really enjoyed it despite of the fact that it goes against my Christian beliefs. Not all innocent good people will eventually end up in heaven. And there is no such 'blue horizon' described by Suzie Salmon in the movie. After death, it is just heaven or hell.

Pics taken from various sites online

*This is my favourite song of hers, altho i liked the radio edit version than the one in her album

No comments: