Tuesday 7 June 2011

Anything that costs me nothing* - Bobby Michaels

The retreat is over and done - and i breathed a sigh of relief when it finally came to an end. Altho there is still the surveys to look at and a final post-mortem to be done, the main event is over.

Quite a number of people did come up to ask me why did i take up the role as the chairman of the organising committee when i have my own wedding to plan for? Truth be told, i asked myself that question too. I should have joined everyone else and gave at my navel when a volunteer was asked to take up the role during the deacons' meeting.

But the day after the retreat ended, i read this verse during my morning Bible reading:-

But King David replied to Araunah, "No, I insist on paying the full price. I will not take for the LORD what is yours, or sacrifice a burnt offering that costs me nothing." (1 Chronicles 21:24)

And i thought again about that question i asked and was asked. Should i only have taken up the responsibility when it was convenient for me to do so? What kind of service to the Lord would it be?

Surely he deserves our all - and i'm reminded that we should not be "convenient Crhistians" ie only serve when it is convenient to do so. The sacrifices offered to the Lord must cost me something to repay back what he has given to me and to reflect the devotion i have to him.

I thank God for the timely lesson and reminder.

*This song was based on that very verse which i refered to above.

No comments: