Monday 4 July 2011

For the first time* - Kenny Loggins

The new World no. 1 in tennis has just won the wimbledon title - for the first time in his life. And surely, it can't be the last time!!!

Congratulations, Djokovic!!!!!!!



I've been a big fan of his - he has always entertained me, with his antics and fooling around, and now, with his wonderful tennis! I was rooting for him to win the finals! This may not be a popular view - but while i think Nadal is a wonderful player, i personally dun like the way he plays. Nadal is effective - and i daresay to a certain extent, he wins "ugly". He just wears down his opponent until they run out of ideas while he just keeps going on and on and on - and eventually winning the point! No doubt he deserves all his successes.

But i watch tennis to be entertained. The purist may scoff at me - it is indeed entertaining to watch Nadal go like a machine and bulldoze his way thru. Just like in football - i admit that it can be entertaining to watch teams win albeit "ugly". It takes great skill and discipline.

But for tennis, i wanna watch flair. I wanna see style. I wanna be surprised. I want to be entertained. That's why my favourite woman tennis player of all time is Martina Hingis (altho i'm a big fan of Steffi Graf). Her strokes are like a work of art!!! So beautiful, so graceful and so effective. And no surprise that my fav man tennis player is Martina's fellow Swiss, Federer.

I've been so busy that i have unfortunately missed most of the matches in this year's Wimbledon. The only match i watched was Nadal-Murray. I fell asleep. Watching 2 men slugging it out from the baseline can be a cure for insomia. For me!

Whereas in the other semis, Djolovic and Tsonga were flying all over the court (literally) and sending the crowd onto their feet!



So i was glad that Nadal did not beat Djokovic down into submission. In fact, Djokovic took the initiative and change things around a lot!

It is also good for the game that Djokovic is now in the reckoning - not just a two horse race between Ndal and Federer 9which was getting a tad predictable edi). I look forward to more exciting tennis in the future!

Oh, i'm also glad that in the women's singles game, another winner was crowned - for the first time too! Well done Petra!



Still, if Li Na put away that match point in the second round match, i think she would have added this to her French Open victory. Ah well... should have been, could've been...

Now for COPA America - beofre the EPL resumes! =)

*Found on the soundtrack of One Fine Day.

No comments: