Tuesday 5 July 2011

Drifting apart* - Alien Ant Farm

We had a time of sharing last Friday during our cell group meeting as i thought it'd be good to do so since we have just finished the first half of the year. Always good to pause and reflect, esp since life seems to go by so fast these days.

One of the things shared was the regret of neglecting people around us - we tend to get so busy these days, and at times, there just dun seem to be enough time to do what we want to do. We'll be happy if we can just finish doing what we need to do.

I agreed with the sharing and confessed the same too.

2 incidents today even drove the point further home.

First, i was at the airport today - and i suddenly recalled the time when i had to leave to the UK to do my Masters. As i took the escalator down and walked towards the passport checking terminals, i could hear my nephew shouting loudly at the top of his voice "BYE BYE SOOK SOOK", again and again.

It was such a bittersweet moment for me back then - i was so touched by his gesture and at the same time, it broke my heart.

As i thought about it today, i realised that since i got back, i have not been as close to him as i used to be... =(

Secondly, i received an e-mail just now from an old fren who is overseas now. It was also bittersweet - because i have not heard from her for so so long. And while it was great to finally hear from her again, it was unfortunately not good news as she wrote to tell me that she will not be able to make it for my wedding.

I remembered again the time when we used to be pretty close. It was also before me going off to do my Masters. She had promised back then that she will sing for me during my wedding.

Even when i was away in the UK, we had kept in touch! Her text messages and snail mail (yes, she was prolly the only one who snailed me a few times) were always something which brightens up my day! In fact, i wrote one post just talking about her text messages (see here). When my father passed away, her text message to me was one of the few things that kept me strong.

It hurts me now that we have drifted so far apart.

We shared a lot cuz she was one of the few faithful followers of my blog - so she kept in touch with what was happening to me. Wonder if she still comes here to visit anymore...

Drifting apart need not necessarily be bad. Sometimes, it just happens. Life takes us on different paths and new people come into our lives - sometimes pushing out older frens.

At least for my nephew, i know that it is not too late and i can still try to be close to him, all the more as he enters into his teenage life soon. For my fren i mentioned above... i dun know. Our paths seem to go further and further apart. Maybe i can still try to keep in touch... but like a tango, it takes two to make it work. At the moment, there dun seem to be 'one', let alone 'two'!!!

But i'm certain that if in God's great scheme of things our paths meet again, we shall be good frens again. If not? Then we can be thankful for the frenship we had - we will spend eternity with God in heaven anyways!

*Featured on the MLB 2005 video game.

No comments: