Monday 16 January 2012

For the first time* - The Script

After the pathetic attempt of being more consistent in my running last year, i decided that i will make it a point to sign up for as many runs as possible this year - in a way, it's to prepare me for the major half-marathon run at the end of the year - the Penang Bridge run and perhaps the Stand Chart S'pore run!

The fact that the last run last year was pretty excouraging (see 2 posts below) also made me start to look for runs to participate in. The first run for the year was the Mizuno Wave Run.

I took part in it a few years ago - pretty challenging as the route covered many hills and slopes. Someone even said that's why they called it the "wave" run!!!

But since then, it has moved to UPM. I've never been there before but me running mate (the last one standing), Mah Pung ran that last year. I managed to get him to sign up with me and we went for it last Sunday.


The sea of red runners gathering at the starting line just as dawn was breaking

It was pretty good! In the first place, the route was wonderful - we ran around the campus and i must say it was pleasing to the eyes. I enjoyed looking at the lecture theatres, the halls of residence, the many lakes and ponds, the greenery, the fields etc.

It was much more challenging than my last run which was around the very flatland of USJ!!! Still, it was not as bad as the last Wave run i went for! The weather was pretty cooling - due to the plants around - but i found it to be pretty humid. My running vest was totally soaked at the end of the race!

The goodie bag was nothing to shout about - but they did have lots of food at the end of the race!!! And i like the red running vest (red cuz of CNY???)

Oh, this was my first race in the veteran category!!!! The junior veteran category! It felt good running past all those men from the "A" category who looked so much fitter and are obviously younger than i am. And altho the ladies started 15 minutes before the men, i passed quite a big number of them!

But the best thing of all was that i bettered my time which i set for the Subang Jaya run just slightly more than a month ago. Now being more challenging, the fact that i completed it faster bodes well for me! I *am* improving!!!

So here's to more runs this year - and last nite itself, we have signed up for a the Brookes run in March! Mah Pung will be going for the half marathon but i'll still stick to the 10 km run. The ankles are still hurting a little today and both legs were cramping up yesterday as i tried to push myself to cross the finishing line.

I've oredi ear-marked a run in S'pore in April. Thereafter, it'll be the KL Marathon in June!

*The aptly titled song which was their first ever no. 1 hit.

No comments: