Friday 15 February 2013

Happy together* - The Turtles

It's the Chinese New Year! Spring Festival - altho that sounds a little premature with all the snow in the northern hemisphere!!!

For the 39th time in my life (or was the 37th?), i went for my family reunion dinner on the eve of the new year's day. It never gets stale. It's always so special. Some have left us while we have had new additions. I guess it is even special this year as we had to *return* home for the reunion!

Food was good as always! We decided for something a little bit more simpler to ease the burden on me mom who is getting older. So we din have her special "char yoke" which is easily everyone's favourite or among their favourites. We had steamboat.

We started off with "yee sarng", of course! Something we usually have - but something everyone overlooked! So it was up to me to wander out at around 5 pm on new year's eve looking for a Chinese restaurant!

After coming up against locked doors and closed shutters, i decided to go to the nearby mall and get it from the expensive restaurant chain there. They should be opened!

It was a good decision as i came across Esquire Kitchen and decided to get the yee sarng from there instead.


Well, this is a free plug for them - but it was pretty good! And my sis-in-law said that the portion was quite generous too!

So that was it! We ate and ate and ate. Why should we depart from tradition? =P

Still, just being together and being able to enjoy another reunion dinner is something pretty special. And i could see that me mom was so happy! I can't blame her. Seeing your family come together, enjoying a simple meal, laughing and chatting - what could she ask for?

Come next year, Godwilling, she will have another grandchild to celebrate the new year with!

After dinner, i stayed on to help to mop the floor. My mom couldn't help but comment that every year when i was staying at home, i would be moping the floor on new year's eve. This year, altho having moved out, it was still me who was mopping the floor. She must have felt nostalgic thinking of the past. I felt the same.

I just hope that there will be many more happy reunion dinners for all of us!

* Thier one and only hit way back in 1967 - knocking off the Beatles from the no. 1 spot!

No comments: