Tuesday 22 July 2008

Thy word* - Amy Grant

Honestly, i was disappointed that all that was being talked about were the interesting illustrations using Lego to tell the story. Did everyone missed the point of the whole sermon? After all that was said, did anyone take back with them precious lessons to apply into their lives? Or did they just take back the amusement of the cute pictures? Was all the effort put into the sermon wasted?

At the end of that same day, i felt another tinge of disappointment as i went to sleep. After all, it was another performance - and just like the first time round, there was no public response to the altar call. All the effort gone to waste again?

When i woke up the next morning, i read the Bible and one of the passages i read was from Isaiah 55. Verses 10 and 11 are as follows:-
As the rain and the snow
come down from heaven,
and do not return to it
without watering the earth
and making it bud and flourish,
so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,

So is my word that goes out from my mouth:
It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.
It was a timely reminder from God. His word which goes forth will not return to him void. No, it will accomplish what he wants it to. Our part is not to make the result but to ensure his word is shared.

And to further reinforce the point, that evening, for BSF, we were studying the Parable of the Mustard Seed and the Parable of the Yeast - both of which could be interpreted as God's word starting off small but growing slowly - and in the case of the yeast, out of sight - but growing surely!

Thanks for the reminder and the encouragement, Lord.

*Taken from her 8th album Straight Ahead, i remember playing the guitar together with Geof for a performance in church long ago. Probably my first ever live performance as an instrumentalist!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanx for this. Timely =)

Mel said...

If it makes you feel any better, I did find something useful in your message on suday. Especially what you said about how we should continue to hope in the Lord and making God king of our life (see, I took notes, was listening ok!)

I found that especially encouraging, because for the past few months with all the bad things happening in the world lately was depessing me a bit.

My point is, yes the pictures helped, but people did take the message back home with them. The lego was just the first thing that came to mind.

...be encouraged? =)

imissw said...

leocyan: "No, brother. Don't thank me. Thank the Lord"!!!

mel: cheers, mate! i am encouraged by yr comment! :-)

cheryl said...

When we were doing presentations back to back in kajang, year in year out, comprising of so many practices without seeing any tangible fruits, we kinda got discouraged and wondered what the point of it was.

Fast forward years later, this couple who reside in England came for the Lord's supper with a commendation letter from their assembly in England, stating that they were in active fellowship with them, and had in fact came to know Christ after attending one of our performances!

I trust your labour in the Lord is not in vain ;)

imissw said...

thanks for the reminder and encouragement! appreciate it! :-)

Anonymous said...

The pic helped us understand more about the message.

I was horrified when i saw the lego blood. Imagine if it was the real thing! I think it really speaks aloud. hmmm..... maybe good idea hor.

Point, man did what was right in their own eyes.
Point, the ppl of God seems hopeless. They fail time and time.
Point, God is gracious and will forgive our sins no matter how many times we fail Him.
Truly, his grace is sufficient for me.
I need not say I'm too hopeless or bad a person that I think God will give up on such a person as me.

The lego pics especially inprinted the thought in my mind. Believe me that some ppl remember your msg more than others with your pic!

How many ppl remembers msg 2 weeks ago? I think i'll remember yours for even 2 years later. hehehe..... won't know for sure but i'll remember the decapitated lego girl.

Let's captainball this saturday! Remind ur group k.