Wednesday 15 September 2010

Forgiven but not forgotter* - The Corrs

"The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones..."

William Shakespeare (spoken by Marc Anthony in Julius Ceaser in Act 3, Scene 2)

I like this quote by Shakespeare - like in the sense that i fully agree with it, altho i dun like the fact that it is true. Taken on its own and a little out of context, this quote correctly highlights the fact that we are more likely to remember the wrong that one does rather than the good.

It is a bit frustrating - esp if you are from a local church not dissimilar to the one i attend. No one really bothers if you do all the good in the world - but cross a line a wee bit and you will be summoned before the elders and people will start talking about you (not, not about how nice your shirt was).

But hey, no one said that Christians are supposed to be perfect. But why limit it to Christians? Everyone is surely guilty of this albeit in differing degrees.

Fact - people will do wrong. But it is also true that to a lot of people, it is easier to forgive than to forget! Altho IMHO, to forgive *is* to forget. That is the example set for us by God himself. If we are truly repentant, he will forgive us - and it will never be brought up again. Simply because the price has been paid by Jesus on the cross.

But people are not like God. They will remember. And no matter how much good you do, they always seem to bring up things in the past to out you down. To put me down.

Having said that, i'm thankful for people who actually do forget when they forgive. A good example is my boss. The Dean of the Law School. I'm always grateful to her for always trusting and believing in me - even tho i have let her down many times. The worst (and i hope it'll be the worst ever) was when parents would be calling her up late last year to complain about me.

Yet she kept the faith in me - and today, she never brings up the past. Well, not never. If she does bring it up, it's more to encourage me rather than to put me down.

I hope to always be able to forgive - as the saying goes, to err is human, to forgive is divine. And in forgiving, i hope to forget - for many have forgiven me and forgotten about it. God is the supreme example.

*The title track of their debut album - clearly not among my favourites as i do not agree with the title!

No comments: