Wednesday 15 September 2010

Where I want to be* - Josh Groban

"...you know, previously whenever you talk about london, i never truly could comprehend how and why you felt so much attachment to this city. never thought i would feel the same! but yes, i do now.. so so em seh tak to leave this place - all the memories and the ppl and the freedom...so much things i've yet to do. but i suppose no one can ever say they're done wif london since it's such a happening city wif everything!"

The above is an excerpt from an e-mail a student sent to me not too long ago.

A lot of people have wondered about my 'obsession' with London - yes, even for those who have been there. Some have hated while others liked it - but they have not fallen in love with London! A mate who has been there a few times does not understand why i keep on going back there - he tells me to go see other places. he can't understand - and he's not the only one. Yet, after staying in London for a while, they begin to understand how i feel.

The student above was not the only people who voiced such sentiments.


Me, on London Bridge, looking out at London!
(Photo credit - Michele, 2005)

So what is it about London that has charmed me so much? The history? The culture? The arts? The theaters? The food? The people?

Yes, to all of the aforesaid - but more! It is also the memories i have of that place. London after all was the first place outside of Malaysia that was my home for a while - at least a year! I grew up a lot there - i experienced so much wonderful moments, happiness of the highest order and plunged into the deepest sorrows, i tasted real true freedom, i had such crazy times there too.

Yet, even that does not fully explain it. I guess it's just one of the things in life that you cannot give an answer to. The fact remains - London is the place where i want to be.

So why am i not there? Well, you can't always get wat you want, can you?

I am in fact supposed to be there now. But i'm not. The irony is that so many people i know are there or are going to be there or were just there!!!! It was almost like some forces were trying to rub it in on me!!!!

Still, i'm not bitter about not being there. One thing that London does not have - the people here. My family, tGiF, my frens, my students.

p/s - not being there did not stoip me from thinking about London. Check out my latest post on Holly's Lists here about the places i loved to hang out at when i was there.

*Taken from Chess in Concert which took place in London (where else?) in 2008.

No comments: