Thursday 23 September 2010

Goodbye* - Michelle Branch

It's that time of the year again - i've been so busy and distracted that i almost forgot about it. It's the season of 'goodbyes'. =(

Yup, September will be always be remembered for the many frens i have had to bid farewell to. It all started mainly way back in 1993 when i had to say goodbye to my family and frens here. The following year, i had say goodbye to a whole of people whom i have grown to love when i was studying in London.

It was the same when i had to go and do my Masters degree too. We had so many farewells when the year ended, all so memorable. Yes, is till remember all of them - especially mine, when a mini entourage followed walked me to the Uni bus stop.

Now, in the recent years, September is the time to say my goodbyes to students who have grown to be frens. For this year, it has oredi begun - some have gone back to do their Bar. One has gone back to her hometown and will be flying off from there. I just said goodbye to another last nite as she'll be leaving earlier to spend some time in London.

As the character of Eva in the musical Evita sings about her love life in "Another Suitcase in Another Hall", i echo similar words in this situation, that altho i anticipate the goodbyes, but all the same i don't it. Wouldn't you?

Having said that, it is such a bittersweet experience - of course it hurts knowing that i'll never see them again for some time. But it also helps us appreciate what we had - and what we have. It's a cliché but we never really know what we have until it's gone - or is about to leave.

Come next week, i'll be bidding farewell to most of my students. I'm happy for them - and excited for them. I'll be thinking of my frens whom i had said my farewells years ago. It is sad that i have not heard from some of them again - especially my flatmates at Rayleigh Tower and my workmates at Food-on-3. To all of them, i said "See you later" - just like how the locals do over there. I like that - it sounds so much better than "Goodbye".

I dun know when i'll see any of me mates and me students again - but if i do, i hope we can still take it from where we last left.

And when every door closes, another opens. October is the month of 'Hellos' - and this year, it no exception - i'll be saying hello to my returning students and meeting new ones again. The circle starts again.

I just wanna end off this post with some nice 'goodbye quotes' i found online:-

Don't be dismayed at goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after moments or lifetime, is certain for those who are friends. ~Richard Bach

We only part to meet again. ~John Gay

How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard. ~Carol Sobieski and Thomas Meehan, Annie

And my all time favourite:-

不要因为结束而哭泣,微笑吧,为你的曾经拥有。

*This song was featured in an episode of Buffy - one of my favourite episodes, and one of my favourite songs. yes, I first heard it some time in September 2006.

No comments: