Thursday 17 February 2011

Thank you for being a friend* - Cynthia Fee

"Ummm.... Sorry but I fail to see your concern? Are u afraid of crossing the teacher- student boundary? My policy is if they have graduated, they are no longer my students, they are my friends....;) does that answer the question?"

That was the reply i received from a fren - she was the one who gave me my job now, my new life as a lecturer. As a Christian older sister too, i valued her advice.

So let's play "Jeopardy" - what was my question?

Well, before i flew to London, i was making arrangements for a place to stay there. And one of the possible options was to stay with some of my former students. 4 of them, renting a flat in central London. I got along really well with them when they were my students. In a way, they come from a 'special' cohort - they were my very first students!!!

But i just wasn't sure if it was ok. I can't think why not - but to be on the safe side, i decided to ask someone much wiser and more experienced. Her reply confirmed my views and reassured me it should be alright.

And i was really glad i stayed with them guys! I really had a great time with them (and i hope the feeling is mutual). They made me feel at home. One of them had to give up his room and slept on the floor in the hall! It wasn't a huge house so they had to put up with another person hanging around in the living room, using the toilets and the kitchen.

They took me out for a really good dinner the first nite. They invited me to a steamboat dinner the next nite but i was going to watch Wicked! So they met me for tea at Borough Market - and had really good coffee there!


Me and the guys at Borough Market - together with some other former students

After the show, i got back quite late but we stayed up til 4 am just chatting away! It felt like i was back in Uni again! =)

I'm so glad that they were my students - but i'm happier now that they are my frens. I'm really thankful to have frens like that!

Thanks, guys!

*The theme song for the hit sitcom, The Golden Girls.

No comments: