Friday 13 December 2013

I'd give my life for you* - Lea Salonga

I started - or rather, continued watching House recently. I'm still in season 7 and so far, it has been really good.

The last episode I watched was "Unplanned Panthood" - episode 5. It was really interesting in so many ways. The twist at the end was really good. The mother of their patient was found to have 2 kinds of cancer - and one was actually treating the other. The mother unfortunately passed the latter cancer to her baby and only the mother's blood can treat the baby. However, they needed to treat the mom's cancer which could prove fatal at any time. The problem with that is if her cancer is treated, then her blood will not be able to treat her baby's cancer anymore.


So what would the mom do? Obviously, she chose not to have her cancer treated until her baby is cured using her blood. That would take around more than 1 week but that was the risk she was willing to take.

The mother died shortly but her blood taken post mortem was sufficient to treat her baby completely. She gave her life to save her baby.

I have to admit that my eyes were not dry at the end of that episode. That is the love of a parent, isn't it? To be willing and ready to give their all, even if it means to die for them.

And I thought of my parents. No, they did not heroically gave their lives to save mine. But in their own ways, they gave their lives and their all for me. Papa lived his life only to provide for us, his children, and in the later part of his life, to provide for his grandchildren. Mama is still giving her life for me.

History will not remember them for tragically dying to save my life. But I will always remember them for giving their lives for me - and never asking for anything in return. True love. Real love. I am so blessed.

Now it is my turn. And I hope that I will give my all for my children - just like my earthly parents and my Heavenly Father have done.

*Taken from the musical Miss Saigon.

No comments: