Monday 23 December 2013

Yesterday once more* - The Carpenters

It was on the 10th of December when I finally put up the tree. I wrapped the lights around it and turned it on. I then switched off the living room lights.


And then, it happened. The magic. I was transformed back to.... ME! But me when I was a small boy, mesmerised with the beautiful flashing lights on the Christmas tree me dad bought and set up.

As I sat in the darkness, eyes affixed on those flashing lights on the fake pine tree, I was just overwhelmed with so much emotions. It was like all my childhood memories of Christmas came rushing back (if that was even possible) and engulfed me completely.

Even tho my father did not believe in Jesus at that time, he made it a point that we celebrate Christmas. He would make sure it is special for us - especially since we, his children attend Sunday School. So we had a Christmas tree. Every year, he would buy new ornaments - and we just keep on adding and ading them to our tree until it just groaned with the weight of all the baubles and angels and fairies and reindeers and santas etc.

Every year, i would bug my parents to put up the tree - and i would spend a lot of time in the dark sleeping under the tree, enjoying the blinking lights of the trees.

And there would be presents. Lots of it. After all, it was also my birthday!!! Frens would come and gawk in envy at all those presents under the tree - some even asking if they were real. Well, they were!

Looking back, i know i have been so blessed!

And that night when i set up what would be Shona's first Christmas tree, i sat there with tears in my eyes - I just hope that Shona will have wonderful memories of Christmas like the ones me dad gave me when I was a small child.

*A song which always never fail to bring me back to my childhood days - so apt as that is what the song is all about! Used to me my all time fav song those days.

No comments: