Monday 16 December 2013

True love* - Elton John and Kiki Dee

Sleepless in Seattle was on and since there was nothing else better to watch, I decided to re-watch it.  I remember I used to love this movie.


I had to laugh a how young Tom Hanks looked in this movie. But then again, this show was released 20 years ago. Things have changed so much since then!

Yes, even my views have changed a lot. I found that I did not like the storyline any more. It was so silly. And so unrealistic. Is this what love is? No. In my view today, this is a very distorted view of what love is. I pitied the character playing Meg Ryan's boyfriend. Here was such a sweet wonderful man who truly loved her. But she did not recognise it. Instead, she was looking for the kind of superficial emotional love that is portrayed b Hollywood movies. Her character's best friend even chided her saying she doesn't want to fall in love - she wants to fall in love in the movies.

I used t believe in that too. And that there is the "one" and I should wait for her. She will be perfect and it will all fall into place.

But now I realise that it is all a myth. There is no perfect one as we are all imperfect. And a wonderful true marriage will be one where the partners work hard to keep the love and relationship going. That is true love. To love even the unloveable, to love when it is hard to do so, to love by putting the needs and the feelings of the one you love ahead of your own.

I was watching an episode of House (season 7 episode 4) where the victim was a schizophrenic. But her husband did not know it. In fact, at the end of the episode, he realised that he did not know so many things about her as she kept her illness a secret from him. And he did not know what to do. He told House that this woman is not who he married. House replied that it was - it's just that he didn't know at that time. House told him that she is suffering from a serious mental illness. The husband said that it was too hard to stay with her now. House walks off but before leaving, he said "It is always hard".

How true. It is never easy. It can be wonderful, it can be brilliant, it can be fulfilling - in fact, it should be all of those. But it is hard. If you do not want to work hard, then walk away. And you will never experience the beautiful true love that God planned for a man and a woman to have.

*This single was released way back in 1993, around the same time Sleepless in Seattle was screening.

No comments: