Monday 12 March 2007

I wonder as I wander* - Jewel

Wanderlust! It was only a matter of time before i succumb to it... again. And this is in spite of the lack of finances to do so!

Due to me current state of unemployment, all me plans to go places like Beijing, Cambodia, Northern Thailand, S'pore - even East M'sia - have been shelved indefinitely until i earn sufficient funds to pay for them.


I've been itching to travel again - but responsibilites ("taxi" service ;-P) have prevented me from doing so. Therefore, i jumped at the opportunity to take a trip down to historic Malacca - even if it was just to spend a couple of hours there (while me mate attends a job interview)!

It felt brilliant to be wandering again, aimlessly, just me, me bag, some water and me camera! It felt so good to be a tourist again! :-)

One of the things which struck me as i wandered along was how much the place reminded me of Holland!!! Well, Malacca was colonised by the Dutch, yet i believe the Portuguese left a larger impression there. Still, the similarities were hard to miss!

But hey, dun take me word it - check out the pics i took (all the photos on the left were taken at Malacca last week while the ones on the right were taken in Holland last fall):-

There were windmills!!!!


Narrow buildings by the river/canals


Interesting small alleyways


Bicycles with tacky flowers deco


Church buildings with bell towers


Colourful windows


Flowers by the river/canals


Wooden footwear on sale


Riverboats


And both places even had good duck rice!!!!


Check out the rest of me M'cca pics here!

p/s - i also got meself rather excited when i started dreaming of opening me own back-packers' place which conducts small tours. Anyone interested to be a partner???

*From her Christmas album, i love her almost acapella version of this lovely song.

2 comments:

Ruey said...

RWMF in July, come come!! Besides, it's their 10th anniversary bash so it should be a great wkd of world music.:) And you can always stay with me if you're tight on $$$.;)

imissw said...

:-P~

Wow, that sounds great! I'll check the dates and get back to you! Cheers, mate!

p/s - i guess i get to sleep in yr bro's room and play wif his toy planes???