Saturday 13 October 2007

End of the road* - Boyz II Men

OK - i've procrastinated finishing this post long enuf (sitting as a "draft" in my Edit Posts pasge for quite some time oredi). Was thinking, who would be interested to read a post on harry Potter's last book now??? But i'll still blog it for the memories.



In a poll of 45,000 fans conducted by MSN Entertainment, guess which Harry Potter book was named as the fans' favourite? The Deathly Hallows!!!! (see here).

Here are the results:-

1. The Deathly Hallows
2. The Prisoner Of Azkaban
3. The Goblet Of Fire
4. The Philosopher's Stone
5. The Order Of The Phoenix
6. The Half-Blood Prince
7. The Chamber Of Secret

So what say you? I dun agree wif it. The worst has to be either Order of the Phoenix or Half-Blood Prince - can't remember which is worse - both were so bad that i've erased their memory away from me mind!!!!! To me, the best is still Azkaban. But it'll be followed by either Goblet of Fire or Deathly Hallows.

Yes, i enjoyed the Deathly Hallows. And yes, i'm gonna talk about it now - so be forewarned, there'll be MAJOR spoilers herein - but if u dun know the spoilers by now, you prolly won't care, rite?

I knew i had to read it sooner or later. I was planning later rather than sooner. The pain of the disappointment of books 5 and 6 still lingers. But while i was lingering in Colchester some months back, bookless, i decided to get it from Tesco - where it was selling for 10 quid. I've always enjoyed sitting in the kitchen at Rayleigh Tower, enjoying the wonderful view and reading. And there'll always be people who would come into the kitchen to chat. Really miss that.

I enjoyed it very much, actually. prolly it had to do with my very low expectations. But it din feel draggy like the previous 2 (most of the time in those books, it was like "come on, let's move on"). Harry wasn't so irritating anymore. There were some interesting twists and revelations - like Dumbledore's past.

Yes, and Snape turned out to be the biggest hero!!! Woohoo! I always liked Snape. Poor fella. Misunderstood and mistreated, unappreciated and wrongly accused. Yet, he kept to his mission faithfully.

So while in the end, it a tad predictable, it was still nice.

But to me, it was those times when i sat in the kitchen at Rayleigh 12 reading it, or in the kitchen me mate's apartment in London, enjoying my coffee and the welcomed interruption of people coming in and chatting. I guess it was fitting that i finished the last few chapters while waiting for me flight at Gatwick, the last couple of pages while seated in the plane, waiting for it to take off. As i said goodbye to the Harry Potter series, i said goodbye to London too. And just like my life in the UK, there were really brilliant moments and there were times which made me feel really down, moments which still raise a smile or cause some tears to fall when i think about them, twists and unpredictable events sandwiched between mundane stuffs.

And so, as i end the series, i also end a huge chapter in me life that was characterised wif many moments of pure magic.

*Brilliant song, taken from the soundtrack of Boomerang.

3 comments:

queen shelby said...

I always knew that Snape had to be good... Impossible for Dumbledore to have been wrong about that.

BUT for the final book i HATE that she put the 17yrs later crap. So annoying. Hate it! Cause now i cant have my own ending of how they all end up. Sucks. The book would've been perfect to me, if it didn't have the last stupid bit. Cheezy and corny.

imissw said...

well, if i have any complaints about the series - and i do - one of the main one will be the fact that dumbledore seem to be too perfect and all-knowing. even gandalf in LOTR and obi-wan in the original star wars trilogy makes mistakes and were wrong on some things.

i've no feelings regarding the epilogue thingy. made no diff if it was there or not. i guess they just wanted some closure - and a dramatic manner to show who survived in the end.

p/s - u'd rather harry end up wif hermione?

queen shelby said...

no, i don't think any of the girls Harry encountered were suitable.

Bleh.

My Ipoh friend and i were SO annoyed with the last bit.