Tuesday 21 October 2008

Forgiven, not forgotten* - The Corrs

It is easy to remember the negatives and forget the positives, isn't it? Ask Scott Carson - everyone remembers his mistake when he played his first international game as England's goalkeeper. What about his good saves in the course of the other 89 minutes of the game?

But it really gets me down when after all the good that is done, people will only think of the mistakes.

I'm not judging - i must confess that i have found it difficult to forget certain things. And have struggled with the issue of forgiveness. Struggled as i believe that true forgiveness comes with a real case of amnesia! When God forgave my sins, he forgot about it - and now he looks at me as if i have not sinned. Perhaps that is why the saying goes that 'to forgive is divine'.

I pray for the strength to forget - and for others not to bury any good that i have done together with my bones after i'm long gone.

The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones...
William Shakeapeare - Julius Ceaser Act 3, Scene 2

*The title track of their debut album

No comments: