Thursday 23 October 2008

Waiting for that day* - George Michael

Flashback!

I'm a small kid and we were still living in our old house at Section 14, PJ. It's late in the evening and i'm outside the gate of me house with me sis. From our house, we could look out to the main road nearby. We were keeping an eye for our dad's Ford Cortina.

When we finally see it on the main road, we know it'd be a matter of a couple of minutes before he turns into the lane leading up to our house. We quickly opened the gate wide anticipating his arrival. when he does, we'd both be like guards, one standing at the end of each side of the gate.

Me dad would smile at us - his toothy grin - as he drives into the compound of our house.

I don't know why but this is one of the few memories which i have kept all these years. After typing it out above, i realise how ordinary it is. How 'un-special'. Well, to everyone but me.

So what prompted this recent flashback?

It took place during a Bible Study recently. Our facilitator was reading this portion from the notes:-

The Christian is like a servant who expects the master's return at any minute. One does not waste time running to the door but diligently pursues one's work so that it is completed to the master's approval at his coming. We are commanded both to work and watch, eagerly expecting that our Lord Jesus may return even today.

One of the obvious question asked during the Bible study was how ready are we for the return of the King - the return of Jesus? Are we looking forward to it? Are we prepared? Or will we be caught with our pants down - some literally!!!

And that was when i had that flashback - and i imagined how it would be if i am eagerly awaiting the return of Jesus just like how i had eagerly waited for my dad's return. I was looking out for him. I was prepared when he arrived. I was so happy - not ashamed. And he was happy to see me.

If only Jesus would flash that similar smile to me when he returns to take me...



*His 3rd US single from his brilliant 'Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1' album - co-writing credits were given to Rolling Stones' Mick Jagger and keith Richards as the line 'You can't always get what you want' is included at the end of the song.

No comments: