Thursday 15 January 2009

Spice up your life* - Spice Girls

Since i came home, i've been having this craving for spicy food! That may not be surprising to most of you - you'll be thinking, 3 weeks in a gwai low country, sure miss spicy food la!



Well, it wasn't like that. Sure i had my fair share of chips, burgers, hot dog, pies, fries, sandwiches etc. But i had me fair share of spicy food too. When eating at Chinatown, i'd always eat me food with generous helpings of 'chili oil'. I had chicken curry katsu at Misato. Made maggi mi goreng asam laksa flavour (with loads of birds'-eye chili) for me mate, finished up me host's Siamese chili sauce, had a delightfully fiery prawn sambal courtesy of my host's fren who brought it over for Christmas pot luck, and yes, i finished up my host's stash of curry maggi mee too!



Yet, when i came back, i just wanted spicy food. I was disappointed to learn that the sambal chili ran out when i went down to my local church's kitchen for my first lunch back in Malaysia. But i made it up with nasi lemak for the next 4 or 5 days in a row. I've had me fair share of indian curry too as well as a couple of times eating my favourite hot and spicy pan meen - with extra helpings of their special dried chili!!!



But then again, i've always liked spicy food - since young! And when i was studying overseas, birds eye chili is one of the constant on my weekly grocery sopping list. So maybe my sudden longing is just a natural expression of what my taste-buds normally crave for. I do miss me dad's curry chicken, tho. Man, when was the last time? 2005?



Or maybe i'm just bracing meself for another week there in a fortnight's time - now for that trip, i doubt i'll be getting much spicy food as i'll be taken out for me meals by locals there. Except for 2 dinners with me students which i'm really looking forward to! Sad but tt's all i'm looking forward to. Those dinners - and musicals, yes! :-)



*Their first single from their 2nd album, Spiceworld.

No comments: