Sunday 17 April 2011

Just you wait* - Audrey Hepburn

I can't deny that i feel sad. How can evil seem to prosper? I echo the words of the Psalmist in Psalms 73v3-12:-
For I envied the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.
They have no struggles; their bodies are healthy and strong.
They are free from common human burdens; they are not plagued by human ills.
Therefore pride is their necklace; they clothe themselves with violence.
From their callous hearts comes iniquity; their evil imaginations have no limits.
They scoff, and speak with malice; with arrogance they threaten oppression.
Their mouths lay claim to heaven, and their tongues take possession of the earth.
Therefore their people turn to them and drink up waters in abundance.
They say, “How would God know?Does the Most High know anything?”
This is what the wicked are like — always free of care, they go on amassing wealth.
But i am not too down. For the same reason why the Psalmist also is not disheartened. he goes on to say in verses 16-19:-
When I tried to understand all this, it troubled me deeply
till I entered the sanctuary of God; then I understood their final destiny.
Surely you place them on slippery ground; you cast them down to ruin.
How suddenly are they destroyed, completely swept away by terrors!
I look at their smiles and their present happiness - but i know that God is righteous and just. Woe will befall these evil people, as predicted in Isaiah 10v1-4:-
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees,
to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless.
What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar? To whom will you run for help? Where will you leave your riches?
Nothing will remain but to cringe among the captives or fall among the slain. Yet for all this, his anger is not turned away, his hand is still upraised.
Yes, the Lord will avenge his people - that's a certainty. The evil may seem to get away with it for now - but eventually, they will pay for their sins, for all the evil they did to the weak and oppressed. God promised this in Deut 32:35:-
It is mine to avenge; I will repay.
In due time their foot will slip;
their day of disaster is near
and their doom rushes upon them.
Amen, Thy will be done, Lord.

*Taken from the soundtrack of My Fair Lady. Although she was cast as Eliza in My Fair Lady, this was the only song of Eliza's that was not dubbed over.

No comments: