Monday 18 April 2011

When the going gets tough, the tough get going* - Boyzone

What a game!!!! I had given up catching and was going to bed when i heard my sis and mom coming upstairs. So that meant that i could watch the satellite TV!!!

It was such a nerve-wreaking game!!!! I was sure i would not have any nails left at the end of the game! And 7 minutes into the injury time, me heart was broken. A penalty was awarded to Arsenal - and they scored. Surely there was no coming back from that as there was only 8 minutes allocated for injury time. I switched off the tv and went up to sleep.

When i was at my room, i just checked my laptop to confirm the dreaded news - but there was a problem with the internet. when i could finally go back online, some curious sounding fb statuses caught my attention. Wait a minute.... I went to the sports website and sure enough, Liverpool equalised!!!!!! It was a Dirk Kuyt penalty 12 MINUTES into injury time!!!!



Can you imagine the immense pressure resting on his shoulders as he stepped out to take the penalty under such circumstances!!! But he tucked it away and Liverpool salvaged a much deserved draw - altho there were moments in the game when they could have won it too!

It was indeed a wonderful display of commitment and hard work. They were away from home, they ended the game with 4 teenagers playing due to the injuries suffered during the game:-


The 4 "J"s - Jonjo, Jay, John and Jack

All 3 subs were used to replaced injured players - while Arsenal made 3 tactical subs but all to no avail. Liverpool lost their captain too and then they were down 1-0 8 minutes into injury time.


But unlike me, they did not give up. They battled on. And they got what they deserved! It must have done well for the confidence of the young ones too - and bodes well for the future!

*Their remake of Billy Ocean's hit.