Wednesday 5 August 2015

A whole new world* - Peabo Bryson and Regina Belle

Finally, after a long time, i got to watch this movie:-


Dear Galileo. It's a Thai movie about two friends who decide to travel to Europe. I've been wanting to watch this for so so long and have had the DVD for quite a while - there were a few trips to Bangkok when i looked for this DVD. I did find it but it did not come with subtitles. In the end, i found it at the local Speedy Video store!!!

Here is the trailer for the movie:-


So how was it? Putting it in a nutshell, i enjoyed it. In about 5 minutes into the movie, i already had tears in my eyes!!! And the tears kept coming all the way till the very last scene!!!

No, it is not a sob-fest. It is a simple movie about friendship, about life, about experiencing it to the full. You can read more about the movie elsewhere. Here, i just want to talk about what it means to me!

It was nice to be able to "travel" with the two main leads and share their experiences - especially the London part. The roles were played out very well. I have to admit that the movie dragged on a bit at times (it was over 2 hours - but it did cover 3 countries. 4 if you include the Thai part.

And perhaps this is a movie for those who are younger, those who are doing their tertiary education or just ended it. To be able to be free from responsibilities and just go where you want to go, meet up with people, see a whole new world, experience new things both bitter and sweet, sometimes bittersweet.

The wanderlust in me was indeed stirred up again. Just last night i was chatting with an old friend who spent two months travelling around Europe earlier this year!!! There are so many places that i still would like to go to. And so many sights to see. Of course, there are the people that can meet during the travels too.

But times are different now. I have a family. I cannot just leave at the drop of the hat. There are bills to pay and mouths to feed - and future education to save up for!!! It took me a while but i have resigned myself to the fact that my travelling days are over. And i have come to peace with that.

Instead of looking at the glass as half empty, i look at it as half full. I don't think so much of the places that i have not been to yet. but i keep in mind the places that i have! And I have been to many places. More than many others would ever have the opportunity to do so. I should be thankful - and i am.

Perhaps when my kids are older, we may travel again. We still do - but cheap. Local. And that is good enough.

I confronted myself honestly as i watched this movie - would i rather go travelling or stay put now. Thankfully, my honest answer is that i would rather not see some of the most wonderful sights but to just be able to spend time with my wife and with my daughter. That is far more precious to me now.

But to those who are young - and especially unmarried - go and travel. See the world. Experience life and widen your outlook.

*The theme song for Aladdin which won the Academy Award for Best Original Song as well as the Grammy for Song of the Year. 

No comments: