Friday 21 August 2015

I will always love you* - Whitney Houston

I felt sad today when i realised that i cannot afford to bring my daughter to a concert that she would love! For a brief moment, i felt like i have failed her.

And then i began to think of the things i know that i will not be able to afford to give her, the places that i can never bring her to, the experiences that i cannot ensure she gets. Have i failed her?

Of course there are people who say that if we give our children everything they want, we will be doing a disservice to them. Still, it does not change the fact that i won't be able to see the joy in her face if i could bring her to that concert.

But at the end of the day, i am just focusing on myself - i am being selfish!!! I am thinking of what would make me feel good. My daughter did not ask to go for the concert - she is just happy to watch the studio recorded performance in our TV room. In fact, saying she is happy is an understatement. She absolutely loves it. She was dancing around today much to my amusement. There will be days when she insists that i dance along with her and she is left in stitches seeing me try!

Similarly with going to exotic places and eating at posh restaurants - to her, it does not matter as long as she is with us. As a friend said, other people go to Club Med, he goes to PD (Port Dickson).

When i think back of my childhood, my parents also couldn't give me a lot of things that i wanted. I would also hear of friends who went to Disneyland for holidays. But it was ok with me. Well, not really ok - but i learnt to accept it. And i was never bitter nor angry at my parents or the financial situation we were in. I just hope that my children will have the same mindset.

A lot of people today do not have more than 1 child because they feel that they cannot afford it. They will not be able to buy nor provide the children will all the things they want. But i disagree with such a view - and i have friends who are not well to do but have a lot of children. And they are doing fine.

I am reminded today that i may not be able to provide materially for my children - but what i can provide, i should give as much as i can for as long as i am able to. And one thing that i should do is to love them. Love my girl. She doesn't ask for much. she just wants her daddy and she wants her daddy to spend time with her.

Love does not mean giving her everything she wants. Love is to give of myself to her no matter what. And i pray that i will be able to love her always.

*Her remake of the Dolly Parton song which was featured in the soundtrack of the movie, The Bodyguard.

No comments: