Monday 31 December 2007

Call me irresponsible* - Michael Bublé

Moi: So you finally went out wif her...

I was itching for all the juicy details

Me mate: Yeah (nonchalantly)... No biggie.

Moi: C'mon. Spill! Every single detail!!! Muahahaha!

Me mate: Really, it wasn't much. It was alrite.

I waited in silence for more...

Me mate: I really dun know, man... I mean, she's nice and all...

Pregnant pause

Moi: But....??????

Me mate: Well, there was no chemistry. Ok. Very little.

Moi: What the heck were you expecting? Heavens opened and heavenly hosts breaking out into hallelujah choruses????

Me mate: No la... but honestly, i dun think she's the one for me.

Moi: Oooo... so you were considering her!

Me mate: Yeah - that i dun deny. But now i'm having doubts.

Moi: Man, you're complicated. She's nice, isn't she? And she's kinda hot too!

Me mate: Yes, yes, without a doubt! But there has got to be more than that!

Moi: What more do you want?

Me mate: Like how i feel when i'm with Kelly...

Moi: No, no, no, no, no, no, no....

Me mate: wha...?

Moi: ...no, no, no. And NO!!!!

Me mate: I knew you'd react that way.

Moi: Of course i'll react that way! You know how i feel bout her!

Me mate: Hey - she's a wonderful person, k?

Moi: I'm sure she is - but she is off limits to you!!!!

Me mate: Watever...

Moi: Look, mate. I'm serious here...

Me mate: Ok, ok, ok.

*Silence*

Me mate: Is this the story of my life? The one i'm not interested is right there for me. The one i'm interested in, i'm not allowed to go after her.

I din know wat to say so the silence resumed.

Me mate: But i feel soooo alive when i'm with her...

I nodded sympathetically

Me mate: And she makes me laugh!!!! and i just love that mischievous glint in her eyes whenever she's... she's....

Moi: I know. i know her too. Prolly just as well as you know her. I love that mischievous streak in her too. But you know very well that nothing you start wif her will end well. We've been thru this before...

Me mate: Yes, yes, yes! Arrgghhh!!!! I must vote you to be most likely to be the voice of reason... whenever i dun wanna hear it!

Moi: Sori, mate...

Me mate: No, it's O-K. I know you mean well. I do. It's just...

Moi: What?

Me mate: Wouldn't it be nice if i could just stop being reasonable and be impulsive - throw caution to the wind, and just live for the moment? Can't i just be irresponsible???

Moi: Of course it would - but eventually, you'll have to hit reality again. I mean, really hit reality. Then is it worth it all in the end?

No reply meant that he agreed.

Me mate: Maybe it's the forbidden...

Moi: ...fruit syndrome - theory - reasoning. Watever. The fact that she's off limits makes her all the more attractive, isn't it? Just like Eve having all the fruits in the garden but yet she longed for the one that she was not to eat. Do you think she enjoyed it? And even if she did, how long did that feeling last? Do you not think that she prolly regretted it for the rest of her life - which mind you, was a really, really long time!

Me mate: I hate you.

Moi: Yeah, i love you too, mate!

Names changed to protect identity

*The title song of his album of the same name. Perhaps the most famous version is by Frank Sinatra. The song also won an Oscar way back in 1963.

No comments: