Monday 10 December 2007

Rhythm is gonna get you* - Gloria Estefan

I enjoyed the choir prac last nite. There's something about being on stage that makes one feel so alive. Well, at least that's wat it does to me. unfortunately, the same cant be said about some people in the choir.

It just leaves me speechless how one can be singing on stage an upbeat and joyful song, and yet remain emotionless and absolutely static!!!!

I guess everyone is created differently? If that is so, that explains why i find it hard to understand how one can listen to music and remain unmoved, both emotionally and physically. It leaves me flummoxed. Yes, i'm the kind who looks like an idiot when stuck in me car in a traffic jam - my head will be bobbing to the music like a drunk pigeon. People will see me mouth open and close like a goldfish as i sing me heart out. Other times, i have to wipe tears from eyes - or even pull over to avoid having an accident.

So back to the prac we had last nite - so fun! For the few of us at back at least. We finally added some movements (not choreography) during an uptempo song. Inspired by our "movement director", me mate and i were the only 2 at the back, dancing with one hand in the air, spinning round high on the wooden platform we were standing on - i think much to the chagrin of the church deacon overseeing us!!!

Maybe that's another reason why some members are so "stone" - we are after all Asians, and Christians - brethren, even - one of the most conservative denominations!!! Dancing? How dare they!!!!! I remember many many years ago, a few of us were hauled-up by a church leader for being involved in some harmless dancing during a birthday party of one of the youth leaders.

It was as if indulging in an activity like that would make us all lose our Christian identity, and lead us all down the path of the pagans...

At least i'm glad to say that such sentiments are not voiced so loudly these days. Leaders getting mellow? i for one believe that music was created to let us express ourselves - emotionally, spiritually AND physically.

On top of all that, it is fun!!! Some of the best memories i have of me life in Essex includes that nite when me flatmates and i danced the nite away on the kitchen benches (the ceiling was too low for us to dance on the tables), and another nite (early hours of the morning, actually) when i danced for joy alone in the streets! Those were the days... :-)



Yes, i love moving to music. And yes, i still intend to take dance lessons. If only i can find the time...

At the very least, it is very therapeutic. If you dun believe me, you shud try it sometimes.

Sadness is easier because its surrender. I say make time to dance alone with one hand waving free.
Kirsten Dunst character in Elizabethtown

*From her multi-platinum album released in the late eighties, this song hit #5 in the US Pop chart. Who can forget the infectious "Oh eh, oh eh; oh eh oo ah" start to the song and remain still?

No comments: