Wednesday 12 December 2007

One more chance* - Madonna

It's the X'mas hols!!! Feeble cheers...

No, dun get me wrong. I dun know who were happier - me students or me, when we finished our last lectures for the semester. It's just that there is so much to do in these 3 weeks that it's not much of a holiday for me. I prolly have to cancel me plans to go down to Singapore next week - to help me students with a moot competition next year. Oh well...

The end of the term usually is the time when people look back - especially if the end of the term coincides with the end of the year too. Was spending some time looking thru some students' blogs. The year 2s were looking back at their full year together. The year 1s were reminiscing the few months they had shared. I feel so happy for them - and very envious, of course. They have their whole lives ahead of them - and i believe the best is yet to come. Wait til they go over to UK and live together, travel together, discover themselves... together! I just wish i could turn back the clock and join them! :-)

To me, the best times of one's life surely has to be the student days - and if one had the privilege, student life in Uni.

Someone was rebuking me the other day for always looking back to me Uni days, longing to be back there again. It doesn't speak very well of the people in me life now, she said.

Dun get me wrong - being back home has been a blast! I've had wonderful mates around me. Sure, you begin to realise who yr real frens are - and altho i'm sad to discover who are not me frens, i've been blessed wif so many true frens. God indeed has been good.

Work is just getting better and better! I'm bonding well wif me colleagues and hanging out wif me students. I love wat i'm doing.

But yes, i confess - i still long for those days. At times - more often than i would like - I still wish i wasn't back home. But before you judge me, hear me out. I have reasons for feeling that way.

And yes, one of the reason is that i long for those good ol' days again, when i can be a carefree student once more. Like the advert for the toy shop goes, i dun wanna grow up! Can i not be like Peter Pan and live young and free in Neverland?

Still, having said that, i acknowledge that i've been privileged - more than most. I have had 2 bites at the cherry. I had a blast during me undergraduate days. And recently, i got to relive it again albeit as a post-graduate. And i'm thankful. Perhaps it is finally time for me to grow up?

In any event, this is not the main reason why i hate being back home. The main reason? Well, that's another story for another day.

For now, let me live vicariously thru me students' experiences and reminisce of the good old times. :-)


Undergraduate days (i shud try to scan more pics in - yeah, it was that long ago and we din have digicams back then!!! Just the other day, i had a blast of a time wif an old mate as we looked thru our old photos - and laugh at our hair and clothes(!) and the good old days!



Post-graduate days


*This is a little known song of hers - i dun think it was even released as a single. But i love it - just vocals and guitars at first, with a cello coming in later.

No comments: