Monday 31 December 2007

Last Christmas* - Wham!

Prologue: OK - better post up m X'mas posts before the year rings in!!!! Dun forget to check out me Christmas Countdown post in me other blog here.

Christmas came and went. It was wonderful, praise God! But not as good as the year before. Dun get me wrong - i dun wanna sound ungrateful but i still can't get over how wonderful last year's Christmas was!!!


I couldn't help but reminisce about wat happened last x'mas - and why it was so special, and will always be the most special one for me.

Back then, just before the x'mas holidays started, i was working at the cafe on campus. This meant that i had my fill - and more - of good old x'mas meals! Yup, i had so much turkey that i got sick of it!!!! The weather then was pretty mild and i used to sit out in the open air enjoying the cold crisp wind, eating me turkey and watching life go by on Square 3.

But no, that's not why x'mas was so special then.

A most memorable event was the Carols on the Square organised by the Christian groups on campus. It was a great time. Everyone loves singing carols!!! And it was my first experience caroling in winter! I had both me hands in me pockets and got someone else to share the carol sheet with me. It ended with some hot snacks - drinks and meat pies!

But no, that's not why x'mas was so special last year.

I had to work on x'mas eve - all the way till x'mas day! But i din really mind. Most of me mates werer back in their home countries. I kinda like going in to town and walking along the streets all decked up with x'mas decos, hearing carols being played, seeing people enjoying the holidays and doing their shopping. Come 12 midnite, it was a most diffrent experience for me too. The restaurant was closed oredi and the cooks prepared a lavish x'mas dinner for us staff - all chinese people. So when the clocks struck 12, we were wishing each other - in Cantonese! "Ah Man, sing tan fai lok!" :-) We had a nice time!

But nope. That too is not the reason why it was so good.

Had a very British x'mas morn too. Went to church for the service and then later was invited by Marcus for an x'mas lunch. Marcus is a brilliant host, as usual. But it was something else that took place during lunch - even he did not know about it. I had a call from back home. And i received the best news ever!!! I just starting shedding tears of joy! It was the best x'mas gift EVER!!!! I remember later that day i was busy texting me mates about the wonderful news and how they all shared with my joy!

And that's why i'll always remember last Christmas.

*The biggest selling single in UK chart history not to hit #1. It peaked at #2 in the Christmas season in 1984. #1 was taken by "Do they know it's Christmas?"

No comments: