Saturday 22 March 2008

Go the distance* - Michael Bolton

This has been a memorable day for me. I've set a new personal best.

Well, to many, it may not be a biggie. But it is to me. I've never run so far before at one go. What made it really sweet was that i did it well within the qualifying time set for the KL International Marathon which is scheduled next week.

Yes, i've signed up for the 10 km run. And i decided to go for a trial run this morning. I wasn't confident that i could finish it on time. I was certain i wouldn't be able to do it all in one go. During practices, the most i've run is around 6.6 km. I did manage once a 9.9 km part run part walk which took me an hour and a half.

So there i was, at a very deserted Independence Square at 6 in the morning under a very bright full moon, starting off me run. Less than 70 mins later i was back there again, having covered the 10 km!

I covered the distance without stopping. I covered the distance well within the the 80 minute time limit set for the race next week. And i felt really good.

The main difference is the time of the run - i have only run in the evenings, not being the morning person. This was the first time i did a morning run - and i felt the difference. So much fresher - both me and the weather. And the fact that i wasn't running around in circles made the run more pleasurable.

I'm so happy i did it. It's gonna be a little different next week. The race is held later than my run this morning and so it could be warmer. And there'll be a thousand plus others running - this could push me further or it could ruin my pace. I could be too over-confident after covering it so easily today. My shoes - which has gone up Mount Kinabalu and survived UK with me - may not last the distance (i'm resisting buying a new pair for the race - lemme complete it and reward meself wif a brand new pair).



I just hope i can complete it again within the time allocated.


*The theme song for the Disney animated movie, Hercules. Was nominated but did not win in the Golden Globes and Academy Awards.

No comments: