Friday 20 February 2009

The winner takes it all* - Meryl Streep

YOU!!!!!!

Yes, you! I'm talking to you!!!!!
No, dun turn around look. There's no one behind you.

I'm talking to you! You who have NOT watched Slumdog Millionaire yet.


What? What do i wanna tell you? I wanna shoo you away. GO AWAY! PEGI JAUH-JAUH, OK?


Be warned. This post contains MAJOR spoilers for the movie - so unless you wanna know how it ends before watching it, i strongly recommend that you go to another web-page.




The movie was brilliant! Danny Boyle is brilliant! Will he win an Oscar? We'll see.
The first chase scene was superb! The camera angles from all over - below, above, off screen, side view - was wonderful! It captured the slums so well - wat was missing was the smell. But i loved it.

I only have one complaint - i din like the feel-good ending. Why did he have to win the 20 million rupees???? I humbly suggest that it would have been better if he lost all the money but found the girl. Why did he want the money for? He was never like that. And the only reason why he took part in the game show was so that she could see him! He was hoping to be reunited with her somehow. And it worked! But they chose to end it with a winner takes it all ending. Too sugary for me.

But it din spoil the show for me.
I'm having a tough time choosing between this and Benjamin Button. I think if push comes to shove, i'll choose this. What tips the scale is the exotic location of India - which is the next destination for my major holiday trip this year!

p/s - oh, a trivia. This is wat i got from IMDB:- "The pile of excreta that the young Jamal jumps into and was made from a combination of peanut butter and chocolate". Yes, we all prolly cringed and felt disgusted at that scene - but now that we know wat it really was, it'd be lovely to jump into it, won't it? ;-P

p/p/s - one thing that disturbed me was the question regarding where was Cambridge Circus located. I consider meself almost a London-er but yet i din know where in London it is!!!! I just found out (after Googling and Wiki-ing it) that i walk pass it countless of times!!!! Just that i din know it was called as such. It's the intersection in front of The Palace Theatre.

*This was the version taken from the movie,
Mamma Mia.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

muahahhaa.... I will be going to India this summer! To attend a wedding, no not mine. :D

imissw said...

a monsoon wedding? hehe. i presume u must have watched slumdog but did u catch 'monsoon wedding' also? i liked that too.

i'm so jealous! have a good time. i have colleagues who go to india at least once a year and they have 'influenced' me to go too. it's a more sensible destination compared to europe as it'll be cheaper and the flight time is way much shorter - good for ppl like me who can't stand cramped in the economy class for too long and i can't afford business.

enjoy yrself!

Anonymous said...

Sir, Slumdog or Benjamin Button is better ?

imissw said...

you must be one of my students - ask question without reading, taking the easy way out.

READ THIS POST!!!!!

Anonymous said...

you're wrong Sir lol, I was literally shoo-ed away when I saw your warning of a spoiler .. I didn't watch the movie therefore I refrained from reading the post.

I WAS MERELY HEEDING YOUR ADVICE TO STAY AWAY !!!!

Anonymous said...

I think Slumdog and Benjamin Button are awesome BUT both should have better endings. Yea, Jamal should have lost and I wish I didn't know what happened to Benjamin when he left his wife and kid. But if I had to choose, i think Benjamin Button should win the Oscar.