Monday 15 February 2010

Come together* - Michael Jackson

I think the reunion dinner is a very important part of CNY. In fact, it is the same for most other celebrations - like for Hari Raya (Eid Ul-Fitr) where most of our Malay frens will travel back to their home villages to celebrate, or even Christmas where family members from all over will return home to share the Christmas dinner.

These past few Reunion Dinners that i have had has been pretty significant and special in their own ways.

Way back in 2005, i ate the reunion dinner knowing that i will not be able to do so with my family the next year as i will be in the UK doing my LL.M.

In 2006, i hung out with my very non-Chinese flatmates and watched The Two Towers - it was great, spending time with my 'extended family'.

2007 was a real reunion dinner in the sense that i finally got home. It meant a lot too cuz my dad felt a little better and was able to celebrate the new year with us. It also happened to be the last reunion dinner we had with him... which meant that the reunion dinner the following had one less person.

Last year, i had to travel - so i missed the reunion dinner with my family again!!! I had reunion meals with 2 groups, tho - one was with my students at the University of Reading. Typical chinese food with yee sang too! Another was with a few of the guys from my UoE days. We traveled from all over - Cambridge, Essex, Malaysia (me!) and London itself.

So this year, it was good to be back home again.


Reunion Dinner 2010

While it is called the 'Reunion Dinner', the emphasis IMHO is more on the 'reunion' than on the 'dinner'. It's not about the food - last year we had Indian food!!! - or the place. It is all about the people - and i feel so blessed to be able to share it with people who are important to me.

*His cover version of the classic from The Beatles.

No comments: