Saturday 13 February 2010

You spin me around (like a record)* - Dead or Alive

Another post about death? Well, yes. But more of a celebration of the contribution of Walter Frederick Morrison on 9th February 2010.

Who?

Walter Frederick Morrison - the creator of the object that we call today the 'Frisbee'!


Pic taken from BBC News Online
(You can read about him and the Frisbee here)

To me, the frisbee brings back wonderful memories. In fact, it is found in my 'Happiness Bank - Specific' - a collection of specific happy memories in my life. I also blogged about it here previously.

It's actually quite a simple contraption - a plastic disc! The spin of the disc keeps it going far and at times hover deceiving in the air for a while. If u read the news report above, it all started with an upside down pan. Of course these days, there are more elaborately designed ones.

But u dun need it if all u want is fun!
:-)

That day late summer/early autumn will always be remembered - the 3 of us, the green grass near the lake, 1 hardly been used before frisbee, lots and lots of fun! :-) It was in fact a very emotional day for me (if u read my blogpost above) but it was all forgotten amidst the fun and laughter.



I brought back that green flying disc with me - it wasn't worth much, around 1 quid from Woolsworth, but worth a lot in terms of memories - and made the huge mistake of keeping it in my car under the direct sunlight. Over time, the direct heat made it brittle. So when i finally had a chance to play with it with some chapel mates, it literally fell part in our hands - but not before we had some good fun throwing it to each other, spinning it around.

Worth every penny - brought so much fun right up till the very end of its life.

Thanks, Walter Frederick Morrison.

*Featured on the soundtrack of The Wedding Singer, this was a no. 1 hit in the 80s

No comments: