Saturday 7 May 2011

I like Chopin* - Gazebo

When i woke up this morning, this tune was playing in my head:-



Strange to have a classical piece playing in your mind? Well, i must admit that it has been some time since i've had any classical pieces in mine.

I like Chopin. Used to be such a big fan - one of my fav composers. I used to love the sound of the piano so naturally i was drawn to a pianist. And this piece is one of his easiest to recognise. I remember first really listening to this piece in a Tom and Jerry cartoon!!!! Yes, they used it in a cartoon! Not a bad way to introduce kids like me back then to good music.

This piece is also known as "Minute Waltz" - and there are people who say that it was meant to be played in 1 minute!!! Well, that is not true - i used to believe in that, tho! It is just a 'nickname' for this waltz as it is a 'small' one - a minute one.

I've listened to some people playing this waltz like a runaway train - sure, it may look impressive but it just spoiled the piece. It has this rather playful light feel to it! Maybe tt's why i love it - it was such a contrast with what i was going thru lately.

These past few days have been pretty crazy for me at work. Actually went 2 days with sleep (but with some power naps here and there) - and classical music has been keeping me company!

It reminds me of my student days when i used to study listening to classical music - i just needed some music to be there - enough to keep me company but at the same time not distract me - and only classical music can be like that! =)

More about my crazy past few days later. Now i still need to pay off some debts. Sleep debts!

*One of the big hits in the early 80s - interestingly, it has been categorised under the genre "Italo Disco"! Loved this song back then.

No comments: