Tuesday 31 May 2011

It's not right but it's okay* - Whitney Houston

We were talking about how some people would do anything to get ahead in life - specifically, the younger ones these days who suck-up to the bosses shamelessly.

We then talked about how this attitude is evident in all areas of life these days. People will just do whatever it takes to get ahead - not caring if it is morally or ethically wrong. Some would even go so far to do what is legally wrong! After all, it seems that it's the ends that matters - and the ends justifies whatever means we use to achieve it.

Take a simple example - when we drive on the road, people will not think twice but to just go right to the front and jump queue so that they need not wait in tunr for so long. And ppl like me are like idiots to them - stupid enuf to wait patiently in line for my turn.

There are many occasions when i stand patiently in a queue and people just "slip in" in front of me as if i wasn't there!!!! It happened when i was at Wimbledon queueing to get into a court - and it was two sweet looking old laides who just slowly moved in infront of me!!!! I wasn't gonna make a scene where people will no doubt side with 2 golden girls than this scruffy looking asian.

And what is even sadder is that if we try to prevent these people form doing what is morally/legally wrong, they snap back at us - instead of being ashamed at descending to such low means to achieve their selfish ends, they act like it is their inherent right to do so and we are wrong to prevent them!

How true what the Bible says - that there will come a time when people will say that wrong is right and right is wrong.

But i had to confess that i have been tempted to think that way. After all, what gain do i get from waiting patiently in line? Those who just "cut queue" will benefit as they do not waste time and they will not get into trouble over it.

Who who cares if it is morally wrong to suck up to the bosses in order to get ahead at work - instead of the stupid people who work hard, ethically and humbly? In the end, the former will get the promotion and the latter will remain where they are.

I feel sad that these days, ethics and morals are so low on the priority list these days. We focus on the ends rather than the means - so much so that if a football player cheats during the game, he can be touted as a hero!!!! (see here)

It's not right - but it's ok. And it's not just OK but it's commendable these days!!!

So why bother doing what is right?

I know there are many who still hold on to these ideals - and i salute them! They do what is right simply because - it is right!!! They believe in the inherent good of man and that if they stand up for right and against wrong, it will make a difference.

And there are some like me - who stand up for right simply because we believe in a righteous God. And this righteous God would demand only the same from us - to do what is right. So to me, that is my joy and reward - i'm not here to please my bosses or to satisfy my own wants. I'm here to live for him - and when i do what is right, he will be pleased. And that is all that should matter for me. As a good fren once said - "We should all live in the audience of one". And that one is of course God.

*She won the 2000 Grammy Award for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance for this song.

1 comment:

Ruey said...

No need to go so far as to Wimbledon, every time I shop in SJ's Carrefour I get pissed off at folks who cut in front of me just so they can place their stuff first on the weighing station. Gaaaaah!!! Are your vegetables going to run away if you wait your turn in line to weigh them??

And then my bro says I shouldn't be so impatient! I think that's proof he's becoming KL-ised d.:P