Thursday 12 May 2011

Rain* - Madonna

I’m sitting with the sound of rain falling outside. I should be sleeping – there’re not many things much nicer than sleeping while it rains outside! =)



I love the rain! Maybe it’s cuz I usually can’t stand the heat – and in my country, rain usually is synonymous with relief from the heat. I know many do not like rain – and I fully understand it. In the weeks before the recent heatwave, it rained daily – and it caused much inconvenience! It not only rained but it poured. Thunderstorms. Traffic jams, trees being uprooted – and even for me cuz I had to turn off the modem which meant not being able to go online!!! Even now, I’m typing this offline!

But given a choice, I would like it to rain! Like now.

Simple pleasures in life – sitting by my window and watching the rain. I remember days I spent in London – not exploring the city but sitting indoors, reading, with a cup of coffee next to me, accompanied by the sound of the rain falling outside.



There is something beautiful in seeing the rain drops falling downwards, forced by gravity yet somehow, it does so almost reluctantly, using whatever friction there is in the atmosphere to stop it’s downward ascend – an exercise in futility as its destiny to reach the ground is inevitable. Perhaps what is more beautiful than that sight is the snowflakes wafting slowly down to the ground.

The view of everything changes – everything is covered by a layer of the rain – like watching the scenery behind a window. Only that the scenery is now behind a glass sheet of rain. It is eerie and beautiful at the same time.

The sound of the rain is in direct opposite of the sound of snow falling – while the latter is hauntingly silent, the rain makes its presence known audibly – but not in a distracting noisy manner but in a consistently comforting tune. How many times have I been awaken in the middle of the night by the sound of the pitter patter of the rain drops on the roof, and then being lulled to sleep by the same sound!

The feel of the rain is also lovely – altho it has been some time since I have been able to enjoy it. Perhaps I’m getting old – and running around in the rain is not something my brain would approve of! Not especially if the rain is accompanied by lightning! And also the body not being as strong as it used to be to ward of any sickness due to getting drenched in the rain. But I do miss the feel of the tiny little icy pin pricks on the skin of my body.



After the rain, everything seems nicer. Life seems better!!! I exaggerate - but not by much! =) Even the sun shines brighter after the rain. The world looks so much fresher, like it took a nice long hot shower!



And the rain can stir up something within me, to drag me out of a wonderful afternoon to blog about it!!! Trust me, not many things can achieve that – not just to drag me up but to get me to do so willingly! =)

*Her 5th single from her 5th album.

No comments: