Wednesday 14 October 2015

Blue skies* - Doris Day

Scene from Daredevil, Season 1 Episode 1:-

Karen Page: Do you remember what it was like to... to see?



Matt Murdoch: Uh... Yes I remember.

Karen: I can't... I can't imagine what that must be like.

Matt: You know, um, I'm suppose to say I don't miss it. It's what they teach you in trauma recovery. Define yourself by what you have. Value the differences. Make no apologies for what you lack. That's all truth for the most part...It doesn't change the fact that I'd...I'd give anything to see the sky one more time.

When i watched that scene and heard what Matt said, i am reminded of the short couple of days when i was moved into the normal wards after my surgery recently. I spent most of my time sitting by the window, just looking out at the sky. Here is the view:-



It's not a pretty view - but to me, i enjoyed it - especially after a few days in the ICU and HDU wards. We take for granted the beauty around us, the simple things in life - until those things are taken away.
I know that even today, i will rush through the day sometimes without taking time to stop and look at the sky - or look at the simple beauty around me. If only i am reminded that for some people, they do not get to see - and they would give anything just to be able to do so again.

*This was one of the many recorded version of this song which was originally written for a Rodgers and Hart musical, Betsy. It was then featured in the movie, The Jazz Singer and has been recorded by many jazz singers like Ella Fitzgerald, Dianne Schuur and Dizzie Gillespie.

No comments: