Monday 12 October 2015

Feelings* - Morris Albert

We finally watched Inside Out! Probably the latest amongst those who have been wanting to watch it.

Pic obtained from a Cinemasiren.com
We enjoyed it! It was my wife's birthday outing - lunch and movie while my mum took care of the little girl. Win-win-win-win for all!

And this movie was a big win! What a show. I have described it as possibly being the best movie this year - bear in mind that this year already had Avengers 2, so if i say this is better, it really counts for something!!!

The story is pretty simple (SPOILER ALERT) - girl moves into big city with parents, finds it hard to settle down, decides to run away and go back to her previous home.

Nothing much there, right? But what was going on in her head all this time??? A LOT!!!

A student was saying that parents will cry when they watch this movie but she does not under why. I told her that if she was a parent, then it will be apparent!!!

I loved how it showed (SPOILER ALERT AGAIN) that each emotion is important. From the start, it appeared that "Joy" was the main character and all others were not good. But in the end, it was "Sadness" who came and saved the day.

Yes, all emotions are important. That's why God gave them to us. We need sadness to help us appreciate the joys and the good around us. We need fear to make sure we keep ourselves protected and safe. We need disgust so that we will learn to avoid wrong and things which are bad for us. We need anger to deal with pain and unfairness.

One of the worst conditions we can find ourselves in is when we are immune to things around us - we don't feel the sadness, we don't feel the hurt. I have gone through that in the past - to the extent that i tried to hurt myself physically (slapped myself) just so that i could feel some pain.

So having emotions is good. Being too emotional is not. We need to find the right balance.

As a relatively new father, I want to do whatever I can to ensure that my little girl will not feel sad. It sometimes hurts me that I know it is impossible to do that - and I'm glad this movie is a reminder that sadness is not really a bad thing after all. And w are who we are today as a result of the joy and sadness that w have experienced in our lives.

*A very popular song in the 70s but lately has come under parody and ridicule. Ah well... haters will hate.

No comments: