Thursday 7 June 2007

So long, farewell* - The children from The Sound of Music

So if all else were equal, which of these 2 gentlemen would you offer a job to (try to imagine the bloke on the left to be clean shaven too)?



Well, apparently, to most of me mates, it'd be the fella on the left!!!!

I've been getting some pressure in the past couple of weeks to chop off all me lovely locks before going for any further job interviews :-P. Well, first impressions count for a lot and it seems that long hair doesn't count very much!!!! Most of these pressure come from well meaning frens and concerned church leaders. Their argument is that i have to project a good positive image and after i've secured the job, i can grow my hair as long as i like.

Well, that's the reason why i din want to - why cut it off when my intention is to grow it back anyways? That feels so hypocritical. Further, me stubbornness had to do wif this thing about me of wanting to make a silent protest against people who discriminate others based purely on external reasons. If i have the qualifications and i possess the skills, then what does me having long hair have anything to do with me getting the job?

I'm always reminded that God does not choose based on external looks. In 1 Samuel 16 v 7, he reminds his prophet Samuel that "...(t)he Lord does not look at the things man look at. Man looks at the outward appearance but the Lord looks at the heart" (NIV).

But then again, i am going for job interviews before man and not before God.

Yup, so i finally decided to take the advice of me more older and perhaps wiser mates. If me hair is so long, then it's farewell to it! For now.

Of course, the advocates of the haircut are now claiming victory as i have had a job offer since! And it was the one that i was really hoping to get. Thank you, Lord.

So, it's short hair for now - altho it is kinda alrite seeing that the weather leading up to last weekend had been unbearably humid and hot.

It's me 2nd real haircut since September 2005 (the one in February doesn't count as it was more of a trim). Here's a tribute to me hair for the past 20 months (hey, i only cut me hair like once a year so i can afford to be narcissistic on an annual basis, can't i?):-


Month by month view of me hair for the past 20 months beginning from Oct '05 til May '07

*Come on, we all know and love this cute number from the musical everyone loves! It used to be the ring tone on me Nokia before i changed to a polyphonic ringing Sony Ericsson

No comments: