Saturday 19 January 2008

Losing myself* - Debbie Gibson

I've always been a fan of Andy Roddick - not so much for his skills (altho his serves are truly out of the world... but kinda kills the game if you dun have someone wif the skill of Federer to return them) but for his post-match behaviour. As far as i know, he never fails to take away any credit from his opponent and is very gracious when he loses. He also never shies from laughing at himself.

So it was a big surprise - or shock? - to see a different side of him this morning. He was shouting at the umpire, disputing hawk-eye calls and being in my opinion rather rude. dun you think so when he shouts to the umpire "You're an idiot." and then is quoted saying "Stay in school kids, or you'll end up being an umpire."
He was close to losing it! His temper was lost early but he managed to keep his game going, tho.

Oh well... i guess he is only human. I remember even Federer was disputing the Hawk-eye call in Wimbledon last year - but that was in the finals and he really had a case. In this morning's match, it was clearly in!!!

To be fair to Roddick, in typical fashion, he gave full credit to his opponent later, saying "He was swinging from the first ball. I took his best stuff for five sets and I thought I was going to get him to break or to fold. I thought if I kept it on him long enough that that would happen. Tonight he played like a great, great player."


And it was a most thrilling game! 5 setter with the last 3 going into tie-breaks! I dun know how the players manage it as i'm all nerves when it comes to watching tie-breakers!!! In the end, Philipp Kohlschreiber (if you are going "who??", you are just like me!) emerged victor after 4 grueling hours on court!!! He was brilliant! He made some really wonderful shots which got me cheering for him early on.

But I doubt if he'll go further - who can recover from a 4 hour 5 setter like that???


The other game i caught was of how Mauresmo crashed out. Yes, i'm no big fan of her so no tears were shed. I still maintain that she is just not good enough to be a champion - and still wonder how was it she won the Wimbledon title the year i was there!!!!! It was more like the others self-destruct than she winning it.

Last nite was a typical Mauresmo game. When it mattered, she just whittled. Leading 40-0, she lost the nest 5 points in a row to concede the match. Those were poor points lost too - there was at least one double fault. Could have been more. I was bored.


But still, my interest in tennis has resurrected. Now if only i can find the time to play...

Tennis, anyone?


*Her first single from her 4th album, it was also her last single to be in the Billboard Hot 100.

No comments: