Saturday 8 November 2008

Anything is possible* - Debbie Gibson

It has been said that everyone remembers where they were and what they were doing when unforgettable events in the world took place. I still remember clearly where i was and what i was doing when i learned that Princess Diana was killed in a car crash, when i trembled with fear as i watched planes fly into the twin towers, when i celebrated quietly at home at the sight of Liverpool winning the Champions League for the 5th time.

So i will also remember the day when i was in my Criminal Law class and the students were watching a clip from Star Wars seeing Luke, Han and Leia trying to escape from the thrash compacter. It was then that i received a text message from Shariza informing me of the historical news which took place across the Pacific.

Later in the week, I felt compelled to take 5 minutes from my lectures this week to talk about it - the only thing that everyone is talking about. No, not that Chelsea were thrashed at Roma. And no, not about High School Musical 3, nor about how the F1 season came to a thrilling end with the rightful winner installed despite efforts thruout the year to stifle his progress (one wonders if the 'F' in 'F1' stands for Ferari?).


It was about this man.




Having been on this terrestrial ball for almost 2 scores of years, witnessing this event is something which is so special and heart-warming. And at the same time, it wasn't something unexpected. The result was more of a relief that Americans can choose with their heads and not just their hearts.

Obama grew up in a segregated world - literally from the cradle to the grave with separate hospitals to separate schools and almost separate everything ending in separate cemeteries.
But in his acceptance speech, he reminds his supporters that all things are possible in the USA.

And i echo the sentiments and apply it to everyone all over. All things are possible. It may take a long time to achieve. It will take a lot of sacrifices. Much effort will be needed. But nothing is really impossible.
This should spur us on - my students, myself, everyone - to strive for greater things, to persevere when people pour cold water on our goals, to hope and dream when realists and cynics scoff at us, to be steadfast when faced with great opposition.

As Edward Everett Hale once wrote:-


I am only one,

but still I am one.
I cannot do everything,
but still I can do something;

and because I cannot do everything,

I will not refuse to do something that I can do


*The title track of her 3 album which still remains as my favourite album of hers.

No comments: